Skinny means… given in reply to message posted by Lgf on March 02, 2002
What does it mean to “get the skinny” on something and where did such an expression come from? The urban dictionary says the word skinny means the low-down, or the inside information.
A reader commented that this term is a USMC term for information. But further provided this fascinating and plausible explanation of the origin of the term:During WWII and until the late 1960s, military orders in the Marine Corps were copied on paper that was called onion skin paper, because being thin and partially translucent it resembled the skin of an onion. This extremely thin and fragile paper was dubbed “skinny” from the name/look of the paper. Notices that were distributed on the onion skin paper were then called, “The skinny,” through transference.
“What’s the skinny on the promotions,” asked the private?
In the digital age, while onion skin paper has less use, Google answers the query, “skinny,” with these variations and 239 hundred millions more.
We find skinny…
- …Love – from a song of this title describing two shy people afraid to admit they love each other.
- …taste – self-explanatory to refer to diet food and health restaurants.
- …latte – Starbucks offering for non-fat milk that still tastes good.
- …mom.com – where mom’s get the low-down on healthy living, echoing the primary meaning.
- …crisps.com – a low-carb, gluten free, gourmet cracker of various flavors (chocolate to cheddar).
- …Pancake – name of a restaurant that specializes in crepes and (wait for it…) skinny fries.
- …Ties, jeans, suits and other designer type apparel for people who want to look not-so-large.
- … as an antonym to “curvy,” as in, “If curvy girls said stuff skinny girls say.” Curvy bias.
- … mobile – New Zealand prepay mobile phone at a very low price.
- … Framework – (finishing with a tech meaning) this is the name of a web development app.
No recommendation, approbation or due diligence should be associated with any of the above query results.
Final skinny? The technology skinny is what we do at Alliant. We find out what’s really going on inside that box and how to make it all play nice. In one sense, technology is truly the inside information!
What shall we look at next? Maybe, phat?